Three things all board members need:
- To know role and responsibilities
- To have a meaningful contribution
No one wants to attend a meeting once a month and feel like it’s a waste of time. Everyone is involved because they feel like they are accomplishing something.
- Full participation in committees
- Responsible for some part of district program
- Match assignments to personal interests
- Instill a feeling of belonging and that they are integral to the District
- Ask for their opinions and input on issues
- Keep informed of programs, activities, issues
- Recognize successful governance
The important question
- “What would you want to accomplish as a conservation district board member?”
- Once known –recruitment is matching the personal motivation with opportunities to accomplish.